Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Driveway Saga, Part Three

It's done!  The first concrete driveway repair is done!  Well, at least Le Canyon Petite is full of concrete and is curing.  The center seam is still being chiseled out, but that's cake compared to what I've just completed.  I find that a chisel and hammer are effective tools for both meditation and processing anger. Nothing quite like visualizing an enemy's face while busting up the concrete...

Anyone who knows me understands that I'm not exactly Math Girl. I have to say, though,  my calculations for concrete quantity needed based on just eye-balled dimensions were 95% accurate... However, 95% isn't 100:% - thus the 3rd trip to Home Depot.  I was only off by about 3 cups, dammit!  The under cuts took more of the grey, stony stuff than my eyeballs saw to calculate.

It took two 80# bags (plus a smidge of a 3rd bag) of Quikcrete Commercial Grade Concrete to fill the crevasse properly.  I was freaking out, worried that I wouldn't have enough time to get more before what I'd already done had dried.  To be completely honest,  there was also a good dose of bottled up road rage verging on going postal about having to race back to Home Depot again.  It's not like I could just go next door to D's house and ask her, "Hey, could I borrow a cup of concrete?"  She'd laugh her head off.  It's not like she wouldn't loan it to me, of course, but we're talking about reality here. Borrowing peanut butter for a mousetrap, OTOH, is another story for another time. I don't eat the stuff, but apparently it's the bait of choice for the little buggers. Thank heaven for my good neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment