Monday, August 23, 2010

Home Depot

Must.  Get. Supplies.

Did I mention that Home Depot is like a ToysRUs for grown-ups?  At least for this grown-up.

To be fair, I went in with a list. I stuck mostly to the list, and kept within my supplies budget for GSD. Then? Then I saw all a multitude of beautiful doormats on display and, well, got sucked in.  The old doormat was, well, OLD.  And SHEDDING. and UGLY. And cats had peed on it (I made it up.. jsut a little fib).  And no one would leave a baby on my doorstep if they saw that doormat (does anyone ever do that anymore?). And honestly,  the Big Bad Wolf would smirk, point and laugh at it and walk away without even TRYING to blow down my house. (Get a grip!). At this juncture, I realized that I'd gone right round the bend and just bought the damn thing. The cool, stripey doormat that matches the terracotta brick wall and aubergine trim on my house jumped into my shopping cart. Sue me.

I bought some more odds and sods including 2 tubes of driveway goo for the  expansion joints, a tube of 3m marine sealant, 2 tubes of silicone latex caulk,  a bucket of hydraulic cement, a bucket of joint compound, which promptly fell over in the back of my car and opened (GRR ooey gooey messy GRR), 2 different masonry trowels,  work lights, a can of Great Stuff foam, a bit of door trim for floors between the kitchen and the living room, and a very manly yellow and black rubber Stanley utility knife, named Fat Max. Heretofore we will be known as Fat Bastard.

I have to stop buying caulk. I have enough. MORE than enough. K understands this malady, but she's also got eleventy-billion tubes of the stuff for much the same reason! Even with all the Caulk of Insanity (The Princess Bride lovers will even hear the voice that goes with my bad pun) ... I had to get another caulk gun. I was like, are you kidding me??!! Not because I didn't have one. In fact, I have two.  However, the tubes of expansion joint goo are HUGE and will not fit into a standard caulk gun.  It's a racket, I'm quite certain.  Modest caulk on steroids and gone mad, I tell you! I give you Big Blue.  Quite certain these things are made by men that are over-compensating, but I digress.  However, I'm going to have to wait a few days to use the thing... my hands still haven't recovered from the first attempt at sealing the joint properly.

Oh well.  I'll always have spackling!  Frankly? I'd rather have Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment