Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Driveway Estimate - OMG!

While I'm quite certain I could learn how to build the forms, pour and lay concrete, I am also a smart enough bear to know my limits or let my ego dictate folly, especially after what happened to B & N earlier this year in The Great Athens Basement Debacle! Imagine multiple cubic yards of concrete poured into your basement and the forms gave way -- not once but TWICE. No thanks...

At present, I don't have the mad carpentry skillz to build the forms, nor the upper body strength to man-handle wet concrete.  Not to mention that possibility of epic screw-up is orders of magnitude larger than I could ever create with just a little tub of cement patch.  Not something with which I choose to experiment... one needs to pick one's battles.  I could just imagine ending up being  a Failblog fix-it disaster "example." Truly, that's got to be the construction workers' equivalent having of your fashion felony printed in Cosmo's "What Not To Wear" hall of shame column.

I called in back-up. The estimate for the concrete slab for one FIFTH of the driveway has come in at $1400, so far!!!  FML.  Erm, no. That's WAY beyond my budget at the moment. I'll have to wait on that and pray that we don't have another winter like last year.  Snowpocalypse, my lily white ass.

Of the good, today, is that the hydraulic cement patch worked!  Big, nasty hole filled up and cured. Only one more significant place to be chiseled out and cemented between the stoop and the main driveway, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.  My hands are still sore and I have a dentist appointment.  Someone else gets to chisel and fill besides me.  Oh, goodie.

Now if I could just get over my addiction to Werthers candy...

No comments:

Post a Comment